We all knew this was going to be a problem. It's inherent in the
platform. That said, the steps required to fix an app so it will run
are way more complicated than they used to be with just forward
locking. The script kiddies will be dissuaded from trying to unlock
hundreds or even thousands of apps to the point that it will become
unprofitable for them to do so. It may appear  to be a simple scan and
replace as shown in the article but for a complex app with lots of
code, it will be a lot more difficult and subject to errors.

I can see an easy way to thwart an automated patch. Just put about a
dozen fake functions in your app with that code. They don't have to do
anything but sit there. You could even put in a test to see if the app
was patched and cause it to fail or do something evil without a lot of
fuss. That way the pirates would not only have to look but would have
to analyze logic, something that's going to be beyond even the best
pirates.

The thing that makes these pirates able to function is to be able to
simply steal the app, load it on their site and sell it. If each one
requires a manual effort to patch, they will quickly lose interest.
There may be some that will continue to do this but the numbers will
drop precipitately.

-John Coryat