Now you should understand what the meaning of "open".
The G1 phone doesn't give the "root" permission. You won't be able to
run most of the commands under /bin. It is like you buy a PC, but you
are merely a guest trying to browse the system.

Simply, the software I developed on Windows Mobile, won't be able to
be ported to Android. But I would say, I will be able to port to a
linux PC, which is real open.