I have the following:

        <supports-screens
          android:largeScreens="true"
          android:normalScreens="true"
          android:smallScreens="true"
          android:resizeable="true"
          android:anyDensity="true"/>

and

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="7" android:targetSdkVersion="7"/>

the code that is drawing the graphic that I'm trying to scale as a
proof of concept is:

canvas.drawBitmap(background, 0, 0, forBitmapPaint);

The background image is 480x320 pixels.  I tried it in the drawable-
mdpi res folder and then in a (newly created) plain old drawable
folder.

It still doesn't work when I create an AVD target greater than
480x320.  It draws in the upper left now not scaled.

I do greatly appreciate the advice and pointers though..