Hi All,

First of all i must say that i am very new to android.

I am trying to develop an application which will receive an SMS alert
and notofy the user with some sound. I have written the main
SMSReceiver class as follows;

package com.android.sms;

import android.content.BroadcastReceiver;
import android.content.Context;
import android.content.Intent;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.telephony.gsm.SmsMessage;

public class SMSReceiver extends BroadcastReceiver {

        /* package */ static final String ACTION =
            "android.provider.Telephony.SMS_RECEIVED";

    public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent)
    {
    if (intent.getAction().equals(ACTION))
        {
                String buf = new String();
                Bundle bundle = intent.getExtras();
                if (bundle != null)
                        {
                         Object[] pdusObj = (Object[]) bundle.get("pdus");
                        SmsMessage[] messages = new SmsMessage[pdusObj.length];

                        int length = pdusObj.length;

                         for (int i = 0; i<length; i++)
                                 {
                                     messages[i] = SmsMessage.createFromPdu
((byte[]) pdusObj[i]);

                                     buf = messages[0].getMessageBody();

                                     //buf = messages[0].toString();

                                 if (null != buf)
                                 {

                                         Intent startActivity = new Intent();

startActivity.setFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK);

startActivity.setAction("com.myexample.START_THE_MUSIC");

context.startActivity(startActivity);

                                 }
                                 }
                        }

        }
    }
}

However, I am not able to listen to the music when I try to send a SMS
through DDMS.

I have written the com.myexample.START_THE_MUSIC as follows:

import android.app.Activity;
import android.content.Intent;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.view.KeyEvent;

public class SMSAlert extends Activity {

        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
                Intent i = getIntent();
            String action = i.getAction();
            if (action != null &&
            action.equals("com.myexample.START_THE_MUSIC"))
            {
                //setContentView(R.layout.main);
                startService(new Intent
                                   ("com.myexample.START_AUDIO_SERVICE"));
            }
            else
            {
                finish();
                }
        }

And the com.myexample.START_AUDIO_SERVICE as follows;

import android.app.Service;
import android.content.Intent;
import android.media.MediaPlayer;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.os.IBinder;

public class SMSAlertPlaybackService extends Service {

        MediaPlayer player;
        @Override
        public IBinder onBind(Intent arg0) {
                // TODO Auto-generated method stub
                return null;
        }

        public void onStart(Intent startId, int arguments)
        {
            //MediaPlayer player;
            super.onStart(startId, arguments);
            player = MediaPlayer.create(this, R.raw.ding);
            player.start();
        }

        public void onDestroy()
        {
            super.onDestroy();
            player.stop();
        }
}

Moreover when I am debugging it to go inside the
com.myexample.START_THE_MUSIC code, the debugger is complaining that
source code is not found.

Please help me out by giving your valuable inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Somenath Mukhopadhyay