You've found probably the biggest problem with Android right now.  I can
think of two options:

* Take the transaction outside of the Android Market.  Handle payments
manually through your own website that will give customers access to the
apk.
* Offer your application for free, and hope AdMob or someone can fill enough
ads for you to generate some money.

Unfortunately, Google Checkout is the only official option right now and
that's very limiting.  There have been rumors that Paypal support is coming
and even carrier payments which both would be huge improvements to the
current system.  Of course, there's no official word on either and so
there's no telling when (and if), either will happen.

--
Chris Stewart
http://chriswstewart.com

Fantasy
Football<http://chriswstewart.com/android-applications/fantasy-football/>-
Android app for MFL fantasy football owners
Fantasy Football
Insider<http://chriswstewart.com/android-applications/fantasy-football-insider/>-
Android app for all fantasy football fanatics
Social Updater<http://chriswstewart.com/android-applications/social-updater/>-
An easy way to send your status blast to multiple social networks