I ran in to a similar issue last year.   After much searching and
messing around I managed to get it working by using bits and pieces of
various other people's blogs.  I went ahead and blogged about it
here : http://geektaco.blogspot.com/2009/10/of-androids-and-usb.html
.

Basically, it seems that Windows can sometimes incorrectly assign
drivers the first time the device is connected.   If you use something
like USBDeview you can clear all of that out, and get a second shot.
This method has worked for me on an ADP1 (basically a G1), Nexus One,
and myTouch3g Slide.