OK, looking through the ddmuilib/SysinfoPanel source code
http://bit.ly/amJRR0 it looks like the code just executes
a "dumpsys cpuinfo" command and then parses the output
to build the pie chart.

On a 1.6 emulator the output looks like this:

# dumpsys cpuinfo
dumpsys cpuinfo
Currently running services:
  cpuinfo
DUMP OF SERVICE cpuinfo:
Load: 0.13 / 0.3 / 0.14
CPU usage from 62119ms to 2119ms ago:
  system_server: 1% = 1% user + 0% kernel
  com.android.inputmethod.latin: 0% = 0% user + 0% kernel / faults:
2828 minor
  com.android.phone: 0% = 0% user + 0% kernel / faults: 9 minor
  adbd: 0% = 0% user + 0% kernel / faults: 16 minor
  qemud: 0% = 0% user + 0% kernel
 +sh: 0% = 0% user + 0% kernel
TOTAL: 2% = 1% user + 0% kernel + 0% softirq

but on a 2.2 emulator, the output looks like this:

# dumpsys cpuinfo
dumpsys cpuinfo
Load: 0.0 / 0.02 / 0.07
CPU usage from 111611ms to 51608ms ago:
  system_server: 2% = 1% user + 0% kernel / faults: 3 minor
  zygote: 0% = 0% user + 0% kernel / faults: 1 minor
TOTAL: 2% = 1% user + 0% kernel

i.e. the dashes and "DUMP OF SERVICE" text are missing,
as well as the softirq percentage in the TOTAL line.

I'll have to look through the code more to see if it's
this or something else in the dumpsys output that causes
DDMS to not show the chart.

In the mean time, at least I now know I can use the
shell and "dumpsys cpuinfo" to get the same info
(but without the nice chart...)