On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Mark Carter <mjc1...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> It would be great if both the following ways of including shared
> Android code/resources were possible:
>
> 1. Adding a library .apk file to the build path (in the same way you
> would add a .jar file)

There are way too many technical issues for that too happen. One of
the biggest one being that the code of the library must be compiled
wit the R class representing all the resources (main project +
libraries).

> 2. Adding an Android Library Project to the build path as a Project
> dependency (in the same way you would add a Java project dependency).
>
> This would be very clear to devs...

The problem with this is that it's an Eclipse mechanism. Our current
mechanism (declaring the dependency in default.properties) means that
the project setup is done in a way that's supported by Eclipse and
Ant.

This means you don't have to do two different things when using
Eclipse for your daily work and when using Ant for your automated
builds (or if you have team members who prefer to use a different IDE
or text editor).

While Eclipse is our preferred development way, we must stay
compatible with Ant.

> Unfortunately, I've had too many issues with the current Android
> Library Project feature to be able to continue using it.

I hear you. We've made is much more reliable/robust in the next
version. Hopefully this will help you/solve your problems.

Xav
--
Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead

Please do not send me questions directly. Thanks!