Yes, Logcat appears to run independently of adb or your local debugging connection, and has logcat output from *all* applications that use Android log.* methods and the Android system itself.

Note that if you start logcat from the console of your development machine ("adb logcat") it first scrolls, displaying the information that has already been accumulated before you typed the command.

I suggest starting with one of those apps, since it would be just so easy for you and your user to take first step.

+1 to what John Coryat is saying.

I actually do this in my app, have my own logging facility, controlled by a simple boolean static variable. This way it's easy to make a custom build for those users who are having problems.

-- Kostya