Thanks for your answers,

there are no Server connections required for my method. What I'm doing
is to check my actual position and compare it to defined areas in the
database.
if I find a matching Area I want to start an Intent and notify the
user.

If I get it right, my method should be a Broadcast receiver which will
be triggered by the AlarmManager, is this right?

so I will push my futher resarches in the direction of alarmManager.
If you got some examples I would appreciate if you send me a link.

regards larry