Indeed but imagine a case where you have two options (after spending quite a lot of resources on a project already):
a) Don't release your software at all.
b) Release your app and use hidden constants( that do work on current devices) but risk with the fact that your application will break in the future and you have to fix it again.
Which one would you choose?

Btw, the operator requirement that apps can only use 2g/3g networks and not WiFi, comes up quite often when your application has anything to do with some carriers around the world. The sad part is that sometimes this comes as a surprise to app developers because the operator mentality is "We didn't tell you about this in the beginning because we thought that it's a trivial change in your app anyway - the same app can do this on platform X so it has to be able to do this also on Android!" And as far operators are concerned, "NO" is not an answer :)