>how a pirated app can be updated 5 minutes after a submission ?

I actually have seen a repeatable case where the Market app will start
tracking an app as if it were purchased when it wasn't. Back when my
G1 was running Android 1.5, I had one of my paid apps installed
already, then tried to buy it in the Market to test if purchasing was
working correctly. This results in an error during the checkout
process because you can't buy your own app, so there is no charge to
your Google Checkout account, but after that error, the Market app
started treating the install as if it had been done by the Market app.
It let me post a comment, etc. whereas it hadn't before. This was
fixed in later versions, but I'm just bringing it up as an example of
where the Market app on the phone can behave as if you own something
that presumably the Google servers know you don't.

Additionally, I've seen threads elsewhere by people with rooted phones
where they were intentionally changing things in the Market app's
database. This was being done to fix the problem where the Market
never starts a download. I get that a lot myself, but I don't have any
rooted phones, so I'm stuck doing the clear various app's data from
the settings magic ritual to fix that problem. But, anyway, I'm just
bringing this second thing up as an example of where some phone owners
intentionally manipulate the Market app's database. I've also seen
people list the database schema it uses as well.

In conclusion, I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible to tweak
the Market app database on a rooted phone to make it think it had
installed an app that was really obtained via piracy. Thereafter it
might offer to update the app automatically, just like any other app
it had installed.

Phew, there's probably a simpler situation out there that is more
likely, but that's an interesting one that comes to mind.

People do scrape the market automatically for information to make
market listing web sites. Maybe others' scrape it automatically to
pull down any app as it appears in the just in section.