Mark & Dianne,
    Thanks for the replies.  I was hoping there might some equivalent
of "adb install -r" that would allow my app to be re-installed without
losing its data (is it possible?).  Unfortunately, the backup/restore
to SD card won't work for this app because the SharedPreferences
contains some sensitive data.  It looks like I will have to go with
the plug-in approach.

Cheers,
Steve