On Sep 8, 12:01 am, Kevin Duffey <andjar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to ask.. in the last year since I started learning Android (haven't
> had much time the past several months to do much other than read some of
> these emails), how many more markets has Google got Android into that offer
> apps to be purchased in, and more so, pay the developers in other countries?

http://market.android.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138294
lists the countries you can get money as developer: Austria, France,
Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, United Kingdom, and United
States.
http://market.android.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=143779
lists the countries where you can pay as customer. It's the same list.
However, I'm not sure if those replies are really up to date, for
example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market lists more
countries where purchasing apps is possible: Australia, New Zealand,
Canada, South Korea, and Switzerland.
According to that Wiki page, U.S. and U.K. were available right from
the start, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, France, and Spain did follow
very soon. So Google did manage to add Japan during the last year.

> I am still baffled why Canada can't buy apps or developers there can't put
> their apps up for money...

According to that Wiki page, they can buy apps. But maybe it's
available only for certain providers?

> So is Google moving beyond slow into these markets.. if so.. why? It seems
> crazy to me that with so much potential, and Apple in way more markets for
> both app sales and developers to write/earn money in, that google would take
> it so slow.

I'm really surprised to see how little efford Google seems to spend to
the Market, if you think about the money Apple collects with its
AppStore. If Google plans to do it similar with its planned music
store, they'd better stop the project right now...
I mean, it's not just the low availability, there are so many weak
spots that are nagging since the start and shouldn't be that hard to
fix/add. Would it really hurt Google's gigantic server system to allow
a longer description? Why can you mark comments as spam from a FroYo
phone, but not in the developer console? (And it took ages to see them
there in the first place...) Why is there no developers respond to
comments? Why can't a company that's known for its search engine offer
search results with some tolerance, keywords, filter options (no more
live wallpapers from that guy that uploaded 100 similar ones, thank
you; only 4-star apps since last week; ...), and so on? There are tons
of long threads about stuff like that already...
One really could get the impression Google wants people to use
alternatives. Is it part of their "don't be evil" (= monopolistic)
motto? ;)

> I won't pretend to know the issues behind making it work.. but
> if Apple could do it already, I would think google would have very little
> trouble as well.

Especially if you compare the small steps in Market to the giant leaps
in Android.
I can understand international proceedings can take a while (but
almost a year?), but at least some of the technical troubles could've
been fixed by now. Some alternative markets seem to do it better in
2-3 months total development time of a much smaller company...