I think that you can't change a free app to a paid app because Google
wants avoid developers trying to game the market.

A free app gets tons more downloads than paid app (even if paid app is
only $0.99); the difference is not measured in fractions, but in
orders of magnitude. If the developer would be able to change a free
app to a paid app, the developer could make the app free, then wait
until the download count is very very high and then change it back to
a paid app. Then his or her paid app is very high in the rankings due
to the sheer number of downloads.

Of course, every developer would start doing the same if other do this
as well. The ranking system will be useless.