Actually most obfuscators will make your code faster and smaller.
It's also not any more difficult to maintain, as it only changes the
compiled version, not the original source code.  As for effectiveness,
it will definitely slow people down and make it less worthwhile, but
of course nothing is completely secure if someone wants your code
badly enough.  You just have to make it difficult enough so no-one
wants to spend so much time reverse engineering your code when it
would be easier for them to write it themselves from scratch.