On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Indicator Veritatis <mej1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Do I really have to explain something so elementary? "8" is not the
> same as "8.0.0" is not the same as "8(.0.0)". So yes, you did make it
> more confusing instead of less.

You are seriously confused indeed.

Tools r8 will ship with ADT 8.0.0. The version that comes after will
be Tools r9 with ADT 9.0.0, and then r10 and ADT 10.0.0, etc...
Since both are meant to work together, it seems to me like it's a
pretty straight forward versioning scheme. When we release r8 we will
clearly explain this new scheme so that users know what to expect.

I fail to see how it's more confusing that previous releases of r7
with ADT 0.9.8, r6 with ADT 0.9.7, etc... where the ADT version was
completely unrelated to the SDK tools revision number.

> For that matter, are they sharing the same version number, or the same
> API level? The version number is 2.2, the API level 8. Based on what
> you have said so far, it sounds like you are using the API level as
> the version number for the tools, which is not the same as making "all
> tools and plug-ins share the same version number".

What are you talking about? Tools don't have an API level, so there's
certainly none to share between the SDK Tools and ADT, and, obviously,
the API level for the platform has *nothing* to do with revision
number for the tools!

Yes they both use numbers, but that's about it. I'm not sure how
anything I've said brought you to this conclusion.

As a reminder, we shipped Tools r6 coincidentally at the same time as
Froyo (2.2/API 8), and r7 alone just last week. Yes, the next version
will be r8 which happens to be the same number as the API level for
2.2 but I fail to see how that's related.

Talk about something elementary...

Xav
--
Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead

Please do not send me questions directly. Thanks!