Hello,

This code does what I want and works just fine as long as there is
"service" or an "internet connection".

*********** code **********************
   public static String getHTTPresult(String URLwithGet){
        Log.d("MP103", TAG + "--------start
getHTTPresult--------------------------------");
        String strTemp = "this is a XX test";
        HttpClient httpclient = new DefaultHttpClient();
        HttpGet httpget = new HttpGet(URLwithGet);
        Log.d("MP103", TAG + "executing request " + httpget.getURI());
        ResponseHandler<String> responseHandler = new
BasicResponseHandler();
        String responseBody = "";
        Log.d("MP103", TAG + "just before try ");
                try {
                        responseBody = httpclient.execute(httpget,
responseHandler);
                } catch (ClientProtocolException e) {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                Log.d("MP103", TAG + "error in getHTTPresult,
ClientProtocolException = " + e.toString());
                } catch (IOException e) {
                Log.d("MP103", TAG + "error in getHTTPresult, IOException = "
+ e.toString());
                        e.printStackTrace();
                } catch (Exception e) {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                Log.d("MP103", TAG + "error in getHTTPresult, Exception = " +
e.toString());
                Log.d("MP103", e.toString());
                }
        Log.d("MP103", TAG + "after try catch ");
        if (responseBody == "") {
            Log.d("MP103", TAG + "responseBody = ''");
            responseBody = "http error, responseBody = ''";
        }
        else {
            Log.d("MP103", TAG + "responseBody !== ''");
            //Log.d("MP103", TAG + responseBody);
        }
        Log.d("MP103", TAG + "--------end
getHTTPresult--------------------------------");
        httpclient.getConnectionManager().shutdown();
        return responseBody;
    }
******************* end code ****************************

My beta tester had trouble when he was out of service. His description
was "it froze up".
When I test on the emulator, I unplug the network cable, and thus have
no connection. On the emulator, in the routine listed above, it seems
to work just fine although it takes a while before returning
"UnknownHost". I say it works just fine because of what I can see in
the Log results.

It does however display the error "Application MyApp (in process
mnt.android.myapp.MA103) is not responding." along with a Force Close
button and a Wait button. If I wait a moment and press the Wait
button, the app proceeds like it should.

What can I do to avoid the long wait (and error) when there is no
service?

Thanks, John Brown