Yes, it works fine on 2.1 and below.  This is almost certainly related
to the problems the Pandora/Last.fm etc.. apps have on 2.2.  I just
want to find out what the recommended tactic for developers with this
problem is.  Is Google on verge of releasing an update 2.2?  Or is
there an official workaround?