I don't find it too bad on a 6 year old box running ubuntu linux with
2.5gb of ram, though disabling auto build is a good idea on large
projects.

When I first installed it pre-android I had the "wrong" java runtime
installation and you could literally watch it meter out keystrokes.  I
downloaded the recommended jdk, used its runtime, and eclipse became
useable.