On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com>wrote:

> Granted, most of those companies I've not really heard of, so I can't say
> for sure whether they are "big guys," but it seems reasonably balanced to
> me.

Well sure, if you want to play the factual evidence game ... =P
I guess I have I should not have generalized and said that's "all I ever
see" - that was an overstatement. I should really start proof-reading my
posts. My bad. Certainly that's not the case, but I does seem like there are
generally more of these "big name" or otherwise "already so ridiculously
popular they really don't need the bump" apps in the list than others.

Currently 9 of the 15 I'm looking at (some of which are in your list as
well) I think would fall in that category, and one developer has two apps
featured! How's that fair!?

> And not a Google app in sight. ;)

Sure, Google Employee tries to prove a point and there just happens to not
be any Google apps. I smell conspiracy!

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Justin Giles <jtgi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reasonable post

Agreed - I did over-generalize. I do think that list could stand with a
little refreshing every once in a while though. As a user, I get tired of
seeing the same apps in rotation - with however many thousands of apps there
are now, I don't think it's that hard to find a new app to feature that has
not already been.

Also, the section in each category at the top that features apps from that
category needs major work. In Paid Travel, at least, there are only ever two
apps that this flips back and forth between (it used to be only one). This
does not effect me personally as my paid app is in the top and visible
anyway, but if this is how that thing works across all categories, it sucks
for most developers.

In the Free Travel section, two of the apps featured are Google Earth and
Yelp, which are already "featured" ON THE SAME PAGE by being visible at the
#2 and #6 spots, respectively. Shouldn't those promo spots go to apps that
are nowhere near the top but have good apps and could use a little help?

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Howard M. Harte <hhar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had an Ad-supported version of my app for a while.  It made less in
> several months than my paid app made in a day.  Not worth it IMHO.

Yeah, sounds terrible, but the only reason I really bother with ads in the
free version is as more incentive for people to buy the paid. Otherwise the
"profit" is so pathetic it just makes me sad.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Leigh McRae <leigh.mc...@lonedwarfgames.com
> wrote:

> I for one have been extremely happy with how I have been treated by Google.

Easy to say when you've been featured!

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Chister Nordvik <cnord...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But how do you get featured?
> Would be great if we knew how they were chosen.

That is the million dollar ... err ... $0.99 (ad-free!) ... question and
we'll probably never know.