I think her point is that the checksum is verified during install, so
if you can access the checksum there's no real need to re-verify it.
(I didn't see that she said HOW to access the checksum, though.)

But of course if a pirate can find the code where you fetch the
checksum and patch in his own hard-coded value then he can circumvent
this.

A little more robust would be to access the public key used in the
certificate that installed the app (again, not sure how this would be
done) and then use that public key to sign communications with the
server.  The pirate would have to crack a more complex algorithm, but
again, once he figured out where to patch he could just patch the
public key into the pirated code.