Another way to do it is to have the customer download the App called
'appInstaller' (available on the Market, by Gregory House).  It's
free, they can search for it by "App Installer".  It allows for
installation of apps via the SD card.

Once they have the appInstaller app installed, all the customer has to
do, after you email them the APK is the following:

1. Save the APK on their computer.
2. Attach their phone to the computer via the cable.
3. Mount the phone by pulling down the system window shade, and
selecting mount.
4. Copy the APK onto the SD Card.
5. Detach the phone from the computer.
6. Launch the appInstaller application.
7. Select the APK which they saved to the SDCard and choose install

Done.  The only issue you might run into is if the signature of the
new APK is different from the old. In that case, they will have to
uninstall the old app (can be done via appInstaller as well) and then
do the steps outlined above.