Hi,

First, you can ignore the error about missing sdk.properties, that's
not important (especially if you don't compile against API 5 or 6). It
is a stupid bug though and it should get fixed.

What version of ADT did you update from? ADT 0.9.9 is really just a
minor fix from ADT 0.9.8 (released 2 weeks ago or so), which had much
more changes.

Now onto your problem. The issue with dx is that it throws a lot of
exceptions when it's not happy but they are hidden from the tools
calling them. One thing to do is to move your build to verbose (in the
Eclipse preferences under Android/build), so you'll see what exception
was thrown with a message about the reason. Then we'll can figure out
what's wrong.

Xav

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Brad Gies <rbg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Anyone know why I would be getting the errors below. The message below is
> showing up in the Console view, and I'm getting a "Conversion to Dalvik
> format failed with error 1".
>
> My app has been working quite well for some time, and I just tried to update
> the SDK and DDMS to 0.9.9, and now it won't build.
>
> I've done a search for the CharBuffer class and don't find any matches in my
> files, but I am using several API's (BUMP, C2DM, Admob). I definitely don't
> use any of the core-library in my code. If the error message is correct, I
> just can't quite figure out how to tell which API is the problem without
> almost wiping out my code base, or starting a new project and copying a few
> files at a time.
>
> Oh... but the two files at the bottom of the file are missing
> android-6\sdk.properties and android-5\sdk.properties. Anyone know where I
> find them?
>
> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but so far, no joy :).
>

> [2010-09-24 00:54:43 - HotTonight]
> trouble processing "java/nio/CharBuffer.class":
> [2010-09-24 00:54:43 - HotTonight]
> Attempt to include a core class (java.* or javax.*) in something other
> than a core library. It is likely that you have attempted to include
> in an application the core library (or a part thereof) from a desktop
> virtual machine. This will most assuredly not work. At a minimum, it
> jeopardizes the compatibility of your app with future versions of the
> platform. It is also often of questionable legality.
>
> If you really intend to build a core library -- which is only
> appropriate as part of creating a full virtual machine distribution,
> as opposed to compiling an application -- then use the
> "--core-library" option to suppress this error message.
>
> If you go ahead and use "--core-library" but are in fact building an
> application, then be forewarned that your application will still fail
> to build or run, at some point. Please be prepared for angry customers
> who find, for example, that your application ceases to function once
> they upgrade their operating system. You will be to blame for this
> problem.
>
> If you are legitimately using some code that happens to be in a core
> package, then the easiest safe alternative you have is to repackage
> that code. That is, move the classes in question into your own package
> namespace. This means that they will never be in conflict with core
> system classes. If you find that you cannot do this, then that is an
> indication that the path you are on will ultimately lead to pain,
> suffering, grief, and lamentation.
>
> [2010-09-24 00:54:43 - HotTonight] 1 error; aborting
> [2010-09-24 00:54:43 - HotTonight] Conversion to Dalvik format failed with
> error 1
> [2010-09-24 00:54:47 - SDK Manager] Warning: Error parsing 'C:\Program
> Files\Android\SDK\platforms\android-5\sdk.properties':
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program
> [...]

Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead
Google Inc.

Please do not send me questions directly. Thanks!