Does anyone know the exact criteria the market uses to decide which
country you're in?

Originally I had a UK SIM, credit card, billing address, and shipping
address. I could view paid apps in the market. Then I changed to a
Swiss SIM, credit card, billing address, and shipping address and lost
access to paid apps in the market. Now I have a USA SIM (T-Mobile),
USA billing address, and USA shipping address, but still the same
Swiss credit card number. I still can't view paid apps in the market.

My phone is an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S running Android 2.1.