Yep,

When using the copyPixelsToBuffer you're copying compressed data (e.g.
the JPEG raw data) into the buffer.
When using decodeByteArray, it is expecting uncompressed raw data
(e.g. ARGB_8888 or RGB_565 and such).

This means that when you send compressed data (from the call
copyPixelsToBuffer) into the decodeByteArray call, it won't work.