The URI you're looking for is

  content://mms-sms/conversations?simple=true

and the sort order is "date DESC"

And as usual, with undocumented APIs from Google - they may change in
the future / differ between handsets etc. - i.e. your app may stop
working and your users start whining.

If you're dead set on doing this I'd suggest adding a heap of error
handling and also test on multiple devices from different vendors.