I'm doing HTTPClient (Through the API's) on a carrier proxy just fine
without needing to fiddle with anything. Are you attempting to do
HTTPClient or socket programming or what? My carrier doesn't use
authentication, so maybe its something to do with authenticated
proxies. *Shrugs*

Just briefly reading over the socket implementation, it has a
workaround to enable explicit proxy access.

   public Socket (Proxy proxy)
   Since: API Level 1
   Creates a new unconnected socket using the given proxy type. When a
SocketImplFactory is defined it creates the internal socket
implementation, otherwise the default socket implementation will be
used for this socket.

   Example that will create a socket connection through a SOCKS proxy
server:
   Socket sock = new Socket(new Proxy(Proxy.Type.SOCKS, new
InetSocketAddress("test.domain.org", 2130)));
   Parameters
   proxy        the specified proxy for this socket.

The proxyselector class is designed to allow for the system to
enumerate the available proxies that the system is using, and as long
as android is passing the APN proxy settings down to your application,
you should just implement a proxyselector / socket shim if you needed
to do proxy passthrough. If I recall in java, one such proxy instance
was DIRECT which was always available as a 'no proxy' option.