On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM, dm1973 <david050...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google doesn't set eCPMs. The market does. eCPMs function on a supply/
> demand curve. The supply went way up when they let more developers
> into the program. Hence the eCPM drop. In my experience google pays
> about as well as anyone.

Not for me.  When I first got into the beta program I began making a
lot more than the ad guys I was using before: Greystrip and AdMob.
That huge increase in revenue has since gone away and now I see no
reason to choose AdSense over anyone else.

> And it isn't so much that users don't
> understand about the arrow (that is some of it). It is more that
> developers are no longer getting paid for misclicks.

All my ad integrations were reviewed by Google before launch.  There
was only the tiniest chance of any mis-clicks because my banner
placement was not close to anything else the user would ever click.

> The net is the
> same (you get less money) but it isn't like Google is making more off
> your lower reimbursements. They are making more by cranking up the
> volume of ads they serve. And yeah it sucks as a developer when your
> revenue is cut in 1/3 over 2 days.

I saw a 90% drop in AdSense revenue overall from June and July to now.
 And that's the difference between thinking I could do Android
development fulltime or not.  I can only hope it picks back up before
the holiday season.  It seems more likely that ship has sailed.

--
Greg Donald
destiney.com | gregdonald.com