Anyone had any progress or ideas with this?

It's a bit hard to test it when you don't have the device.
Anyway, I got two reports from Motorola users with the same problem...
but the interesting thing is they only started having any problems
after upgrading to my app's latest version.
It occurred to me that the phone might have a limit to the time it
waits for a response from the app (since my latest version does a few
extra things before dialing) but I wrote a special super fast test
version for one of the users and it still didn't work. Also I tried it
on my HTC Hero making the phone wait 10 seconds but it worked fine,
which means that's probably not the problem.

Nicholas, you said you had the Desire with 2.2. Have you tried playing
with the intent filter's priority values? Maybe using 1 or 0 or even
removing the priority parameter altogether? That would be my next
hunch.