The way I handle this is I have a small database packaged with the initial
application install.  Upon first run, it attempts to download the full
database from my server.  If it fails, then the user still has a subset of
items to choose from with the smaller database until the next time the game
loads when it tries to download the db again.  This minimizes the initial
size of the app as well as guarantees playability in the onset in case the
user loses network connectivity for some reason.  The app checks for the
full database until it officially gets downloaded.  I guess you can see this
as a hybrid version of Mark's suggestions.

Justin