The logs are not often straightforward to interpret. Especially not
when, as has become the fashion nowadays, a lot of scary sounding
error message are left in the logs even in a shipping product, when
the authors of the software know the 'error' is not a real error.

Now as to OpenCore vs. StageFright, if you root your phone, you can
switch back and forth between them. This would let you test right away
whether the problem is really being caused by StageFright or not.

To switch back to OpenCore follow the directions in
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=737111 to do it
either temporarily or permanently.