Unfortunately, poor application implementation by some developers has
made Task Killers a necessity.
I would hazard that between 10-20% of the apps that I have downloaded
contiue to consume CPU cycles in the background for hours after I have
stopped using the app.

There are a bunch of apps on my phone (some of them embedded in the
system by a carrier) that needs to be smacked on a regular basis.
Ones installed by my don't stay resident for very long - uninstalled.
BUt I hate getting my battery drained by an app that I though I had
stopped hours before.