I think we're finally  understanding each other, Dan.  I am using the
public key as a secure way of identifying that the app is mine before
I pass data back from the server.  The CRC323 isn't really used.  I do
pass it as an extra piece of information that loosely identifies a
specific build.

The key identifies the app as validly signed by me.  The CRC32 just
loosely says that this build is different from that build.  I do not
depend on it for anything important.