I'm in the beginning process of creating my first 2d game and it's a
puzzle game (sort of
like bejeweled) where I would have 7 different images randomly spread
out across in a 7x7 grid
totaling 49 images total.
Basically there would be a way to match pieces and make them
disappear, then the pieces above
would fill the new empty spaces, and then new random pieces would
appear to fill the gaps left
at the top of the screen.

I have been struggling with this I know how to load images etc. but I
cant seem to wrap my
head around getting the basic getting this basic structure set up
where it's actually usable.
I cannot find any tutorials etc that cover this sort of thing. If
someone could give me any
pointers, or point me in a direction that my fill in the gaps for
what I am looking for that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Al