Other platforms have a facility for specifying prompt text to appear
in a text entry box, but I don't see an Android way to do it (though
I'm no expert).  You could easily fake it, though, by making the
background of the EditText transparent and placing a TextView behind
it containing the prompt text.  Clear the prompt text with the first
keystroke in the EditText.