Hello,

This is baffling me. It must be something that I am doing wrong
fundamentally, but for the life of me I can't see it
Can a good soul help me please?

I am (supposedly) catching NullPointerException and returning 0 if
that happens. But occasionally I get
NullPointerException failure anyway.

Is catching it this way no enough to prevent this failure?

Thanks for your help.

private char getCharBehindCursor (int offset){  // get a single char
behind cursor + offsett
        CharSequence cSeq;
        InputConnection inputConnection = getCurrentInputConnection();
        if (inputConnection != null){
                try {
                        cSeq =   inputConnection.getTextBeforeCursor  (offset +
1, 0);
               } catch (NullPointerException npe) {
                   /* failure*/
                   return (char)0;