I don't think you need to recycle the image in onPause. May be in onStop? If
you want to do it onPause, then you might want to let the Canvas know that
it's underlying image is no longer available in some fashion.

You should call super.X() when you override X as a general rule, so I think
DanH is referring to what looks like you are calling super.onPause in your
override of onDestroy. So you should be calling super.onDestroy...