Hi Steve,

if you don't provide real-time turn-by-turn directions (which is not
allowed for gps powered devices due to license issues as Mark already
mentioned) but just want to provide the route and directions which you
calculate in advance, you can fetch the kml dataset from the google
maps web api, parse it and use it together with your mapview to
display the route and eventual markers.

For more info on that, see the code sample here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3109158/how-to-draw-a-path-on-a-map-using-kml-file/3109723#3109723

Mathias