The reference article on Painless Threading pointed me to the Shelves
example as a place to understand AsyncTask. So I was reading that example.
One question popped into my head while I was going thru ShelvesActivity. The
onPause code calls stopBooksUpdater. That code snippet is as follows,

private void stopBooksUpdater() {
        final BooksUpdater booksUpdater = mBooksUpdater;
        booksUpdater.clear();
        booksUpdater.stop();
}

What's the reason for a local final variable which is manipulated as opposed
to the member variable? This happens in one more place but in others the
member variable is directly accessed, e.g. in onResume.

Thanks!