On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Indicator Veritatis <mej1...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> 'Unfortunate' may be too strong a word. However, as has already been
> pointed out, it is a little disorienting, since most of us are used to
> 'exit' really being 'exit'.

I kind of agree, but I think I'll stick with what I said. I think the issue
is that when developers see an "app" listed in what appears to be a list of
running processes (like unix ps or Windows Task Manager), they tend to jump
to the conclusion that there's a similarity.

> Also, despite what Google has said in the past, there really are times
> when the user really does want to just STOP the app, even dump it from
> memory. Especially when there are so many badly written apps, apps
> that keep trying to connect to the net when the phone is out of
> coverage, or keep on moving bits from one side to the other for no
> apparent reason even while neither visible nor foreground, draining
> the battery and heating up the phone...

I think the Force Close button in the Android Applcation Manager serves this
purpose. What do you think?

> On Oct 23, 10:33 pm, Streets Of Boston <flyingdutc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Why is that an *un*fortunate feature?
> >
> > If your app is still running, it allows for a quicker startup next
> > time.

See above. The way Android OS works is OK, I think that it's that when
presented with a list of "running" apps they see a deceptive similarity with
unix ps or Windows Task Manager. If you have another explanation for why the
question "why is the app still running after I press home?", I'd be glad to
hear it.