I need to extract information on lines that users draw in my
application. I.e. If i user paints a line (in a typical painting app)
I need to know how sharp/spiky the line is at places, and how round
its edges are at others. In theory it would be able to tell the
difference between a circle or square or hexagon or any random
scribble. A sort of gesture classification for an infinity number of
complex shapes and user scribbles.

I am thinking about methods which involve just letting the user draw a
straight image and then processing it, using 2d Fourier transforms and
all sorts of nasty processor intensive routines, but these approaches
do not have the accuracy I need, and the eat up too much computational
time.

Another option is to try implement some kind of of spline system, but
I am unsure of how to do this.

Any other ideas?

Thanks