Yeah I've seen this too. But only in a certain combination:

- You already have an existing version of the app published. The new
app you're testing has  a newer version number
- Your LVL code work from the emulator on which you are logged in with
your developer account
- But you always get NOT_MARKET_MANAGED or similar on a real phone
(like the N1) when testing the LVL with a google non-developer test
account
- The market developer console return status has been set to LICENSED
of course

My guess is that that combi is not (correctly) supported by the market
in combination with market console, because it seems not to be able to
detect the difference between the currently pubished app checking with
LVL for being licensed, and your newer test version by that same user.
It seems the published app check takes precedence over the console
setting for test-accounts.

Did you try the same with your developer account on the N1? (I didn't
because I don't want to mess up my phone which I'm worried might
happen :)
If my reasoning is correct, that probably will validate fine.

As soon as you publish your new version, the validation should be
working fine (it did for me). But of course (just like me) you do want
to try it out before publishing it...
My conclusion: I think it's currently not possible with test accounts
if you've published an app before and now wanting to test a newer
version of that app with a test account...

Hope this makes sense, and it's all concluded from trial and error
from my side.