You can certainly write a desktop application that will use any crypto
algorithm you can find the source for (or find a JAR for).  Writing
"bare" desktop Java is so easy there's no need to be constrained by a
particluar desktop tool set.

And somehow I find it hard to believe that javax.crypto would be
irretrievably incompatible between the two versions.  After all, it's
necessary (and possible) for Android to be able to interchange with
servers using encrypted data.  More likely it's just a matter of
getting both ends to use the same SPECIFIC algorithm, including not
just the named algorithm (like DES) but also the nitty-gritty details
of initialization vectors, "salting", and the like.