After starting a Service (with startService method) the Activity and
the Service are running in the same thread according to
Thread.currentThread().  I suppose if I start another Activity it will
also be running in that same thread.

So that makes me wonder if there are reasons why the Activity cannot
just call methods on the Service directly and vice versa, once you get
references to the two objects.  What is the role of IBinder that is
better than plain object references?

One reason I am asking is that I have application singleton objects
that I plan to share between the Service and the Activity and I'm
trying to be clear on the design options.