On Nov 12, 6:38 am, zl25drexel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> please, put that API to replace the lock screen, i will be more than
> happy to use that instead of my little hack.

Yes this would be nice to have, but at this point it is a lower
priority for the core android team than a lot of other things.  If
this is something you really want, you could look into adding the
feature to the platform.  One warning though: doing complete support
for replacing the lock screen is going to be really hard, because all
of the security and interaction issues it deals with are quite
complicated.

> I am pretty sure toddler is also disguising as HOME screen because i
> tried restarting the app in the onstop method, the desktop will show
> up for half of a second before the app is restarted, that's clearly
> not the behavior we see in toddler lock. So i think it does the same
> thing.

No, it does another trick, which the system should also protect
against but is not so obviously a flaw.

For your idea of forcing your app to be the home screen, look at it
this way.  On android, the home key serves as our equivalent of Ctrl
+Alt+Delete for the user: it is the one thing they can press, which
they are guaranteed will get them out of whatever app they are in and
back to a known trusted location.  By forcing yourself to be the home
screen behind the user's back, you are causing the system to violate
that trust it has established with the user, stepping down the path of
simply being malicious.  In fact, this API should never have made it
in to the platform -- as I said, this is an old approach we did to
preferred applications, it completely conflicts with the current model
(which allows the user to select the preferred activity for each
action), and as such is a pretty big security hole.  It will be
removed in a future release.

So, uh, thank-you for finding that approach, but please don't use
it. :)