Hi Dianne

I don't know about anyone else, but I am NOT looking for a secondary
screen support. I'm very interested in writing a screen saver. Our
current hack on the Android emulator is cute, but it is not usable in
a real phone, since it basically requires telnetting into the root to
get information about keypresses.

Without boring you with details, my company has produced screen-savers
for other mobile platforms which have proven very popular. Admittedly,
this isn't the world's highest calling, but I think it's no more
frivolous than many other apps out there. Of course, in order to make
a useful product we need to not kill the battery so we need to control
the lights and check phone activity - currently we can only check key
presses and are not sure of the hook to find out if there has been
touch-screen activity.On a platform like Symbian, even without writing
an official screen saver we have kept our battery use low enough that
in our tests, our application can be kept running for 48 hours without
the battery going down even one "bar" - which we consider to be "good
enough" for most users.

So - the current pieces of the puzzle which we have are the Wakelock
to stop the phone going to sleep and of course our algorithm for when
to tun the lights on and off - the pieces we need are:
A way of determining user activity (even if we are in the background)
- in Symbian for example there is a timer function called
"UserInactivity" which basically fires after x amount of idle time and
then another function called ResetInactivityTimer which stop the phone
from doing its regular idle stuff like going to sleep...

Are there any tips you can give me?

Thanks

Kibi