Hackbod was right, the compass will calibrate itself ( I am not sure
if a program has to be accessing it at the time or not).

My compass was way out of cal when I got the phone, and the following
worked:

Run orienteer program or street view.
Spin the G1 slowly but steadily in your hands for about 10 seconds.
The compass should compensate for static fields in the area and
calibrate.
It probably helps to spin through all three axes (x,y,z or side-side,
front-back, and up-down).
Try rolling the phone in your hand a few times, and end-over-end a few
times.

I don't know about the G1 sensor, but this was how I would cal other
digital compasses (google honeywell hmr 3200 for an example digital
compass).

I have a magnetic case, and occassionally I have to recal it if I want
to use the compass.

Personally, I don't see what tapping the G1 would do, I believe it is
all solid-state (no moving parts to get stuck).  In my experience, the
solution is just getting the sensors to have a decent sampling of
field strength.  There shouldn't be a whole lot of ferrous (magnetic)
material in the phone, so I don't imagine any serious longterm effects
from magnets (short term exposure to a large field may throw off gain
on internal circuits preventing proper detection of the relatively
small field from the Earth).

Here is Honeywell's compass site: http://www.magneticsensors.com/landnav.html

I guess you could always insert some mu-metal in holster between the
phone and the magnet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-metal
I can't speak to the effectiveness, but this is the type of situation
it is intended for.