It depends actually. If you have a Class, and you want to know the
field/method names of a class.

 TestClass obj = new TestClass();

        Class<TestClass> classRef = (Class<TestClass>) obj.getClass();

        Field[] fields = classRef.getFields();

        for(Field field: fields){
            System.out.println(field.getName());
        }

This will print a list of fields names in this class. But, if you just have
a reference, and you want to printout it's string value, it's not possible.

2010/11/3 Kostya Vasilyev <kmans...@gmail.com>

> Suppose this was possible, what would you do with the name as a string?
>
> --
> Kostya Vasilyev -- http://kmansoft.wordpress.com
>
> 03.11.2010 20:48 пользователь "Darkside Android" <
> darksideandr...@gmail.com> написал:
>

> Object objRef = new Object();
>
> String nameOfObjRef = "objRef"; << this is what I need returned. Is
> this possible?
>

> On Nov 3, 10:11 am, Kumar Bibek <coomar....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > name of an object reference?
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Darkside Android <
> darksideandr...@gmail.com
>

> > > wrote:
> > > Object getThisObjName= new Object();
> >
> > > I'd like to get the name of an object re...
> > > android-developers+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
> <android-developers%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com<android-developers%252bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
> >

> > > For more options, visit this group at
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en...