None of my Android development has required anything like this, but
I'm surprised Android lacks a secure storage feature for passwords and
SSL certificates. Nothing you can leverage there?

Otherwise you probably want to look at AES/Rijndael encryption of the
password; pad it on both sides to something nice and long (maybe a 100
characters or so) then encrypt it. The problem is the key and input
vector you use for encryption; input vector can be known so long as
it's something nice and varied, but the key should be generated on-
demand in such a way that it's not easy to guess (like device id,
username or any constant/hardcoded value etc.) but possible to
generate consistently when attempting to decrypt the file, which
usually rules out timestamps.

If possible, you may want to add some rudimentary security token for
the user to enter, such as a 4-digit pin that can be md5 hashed and
used to encrypt the password along with username and other bits of
data to vary the key. This way you can automatically enter the
password on the user's behalf, but the encryption is still ultimately
provided by them meaning you don't have to try and find some way of
doing it without the risk of your algorithm being guessed, so you get
the best of both as while the user is still entering a form of
password to sign in, it's a much simpler one.